Sunglasses can protect your eyes from a host of conditions caused by the sun and it’s ultraviolet rays:
1. Skin Cancer Up to 10% of all skin cancers are found on the eyelid. You can’t apply sunscreen there, so polarized sunglasses can provide the perfect protection.
2. Cataracts The World Health Organization reports that approximately 900,000 people have become blind due to the complications from cataracts triggered by UV exposure.
3. Macular Degeneration Over time, UV light may play a role in damaging an area of the eye that allows us to see fine details), potentially leading to blurriness and major vision loss.
4. Pterygium This abnormal growth of tissue, or surfer’s eye, may progress slowly from either corner of your eye across and could possibly lead to inflammation or disturbance of vision.
5. Photokeratitis Essentially this is a sunburn of the eye. It is temporary but can be very painful causing blurred vision, light sensitivity, and the sensation of having sand in your eye.